Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mayday, Mayday!

Well, you couldn't call me a prolific blog writer. Actually, you could call me that but you'd have to be crazy. I'm still here, wandering around my computer off and on almost daily, but haven't gotten inspired to write about another of my near-death experiences. Frankly, I've been too busy living, I guess.

Since last I wrote I have truly been through several experiences which could be considered "near death" experiences.

THE DREADED DARK SPOT ON MY LUNG

In 2007 I was working with a doctor as a follow up to a scare with pulmonary embolisms. While he viewed my CT Scan he mentioned that there was a little "shadow" in my right upper lobe of my lung. To make a long story short, he suggested that I visit my pulmonologist. The pulmonologist sent me to a thoracic surgeon.

I had cancer in my lung. And me with never smoking in my whole life! Okay, it was a shock to say the least. To make a very long (about 9 months of ill health) I'll just say that I had lung surgery where they removed the top lobe from my right lung. Promise me that you'll never do that! It was the worst experience of my life. I would gladly have 37 children than do that. I was on oxygen for about 6 months and spent a lot of time in bed recovering....falling down the stairs....passing out in the hallway then doing more time in bed recovering from all that.

My family thinks I'm a klutz but it is a newly acquired attribute because I remember myself as a dancer with lots of grace. I will say that I've learned to compensate for my clumbsiness...or at least I thought I was compensating. When I was finally well enough to travel my sweet husband, Doug, planned a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean to celebrate my new found health. (I never did have to do any chemo or radiation and was declared healthy by my oncologist) While on this "victory" vacation I broke my leg! This new issue kept me on crutches, in a wheelchair or on a knee scooter for another three months. 2010 was not my best year, but the outcomes were good and I feel very blessed. I will write later about just how blessed I was during this heavy burden in my life.

No comments: