Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MI-MI-MI-MI-MI-MI

What makes a really memorable grandmother? My grandmothers, Lettie Sanders and Alice Ottley and my Mom, LuRee Ottley and Mother-in-Law Ruth Rich were super grandmothers! What qualities do these great women possess that makes us love them, even now with distance and death in the mixture?

What will our grandchildren remember about us? Will they remember the house being polished and all the laundry caught up? Will they remember that we had dinner "on time" or that when we were tired of cooking we had cold cereal with bananas on top? I think NOT. What I recall is a sweet person who:

~Stopped their "work" to wipe my tears and hear my complaints.
~Listened when I asked question and always answered even when it was the tenth time I asked.
~Taught me many life skills that have brought joy to me time and again. For example, Grandma Alice taught me to crochet and Grandma Lettie taught me to sew. My Mom taught me how to insert humor into awkward situations. She also taught me how to be aware of other's needs.
~Taught me to live with faith through the challenges of life.
~Made me feel like the most important person on the earth to them.
~Sang to me. Told me stories about when they were little girls. Let me make a huge mess while doing crafts, baking cookies, or building a clubhouse with chairs and blankets in the middle of the living room. And pitched in to help me clean it up.

Actually, the most important things about the amazing Moms and Grandmoms in our lives is that they love us unconditionally and gave us their attention when it was most needed. Which in my case was ALL THE TIME!

IDEAS FOR GRANDMOTHER NICKNAMES:
Banma
Gannie
GM
Gmum
Gram
Grammy
Grand (your first name)
Grandie
Grandma
Grandmama
Grandmamere
Grand-mère
Grandmom
Grandmum
Grandone
Granma
Grannie
Granny
Grannymama
Mamum
Mémére
Mummum
Nan
Nanny
Nannie
Nanny
Ninna
YaYa

Any other's from your life?

1 comment:

Kjerstin said...

Thank you for the sweet comment and for remembering us! We are in Oceanside CA. Life is GREAT! Jeff is marketing director for a law firm. & I am still making your yummy rolls(magelbys recipe)! We think about you every time we eat them.;)

PS Loved this post. My Grandma really was the most AMAZING lady & had a deeply profound impact on my life. One of my best friends. My babies called her 'Gigi' for Great Grandmother. GG.